Ok.  So that error cannot come up if port 25 is being blocked by the ISP?

( I meant only to verify that it couldn't... not to second guess anyone.  Sometimes
different problems produce the same kinds of symptoms. )

I'm a little at a loss on how to set up DNS any differently.  On XP, the DNS service
is standard.
I've tried including the name servers that are resolving my domain, but that didn't
work, either.