Serge Sozonoff wrote:
Hi,

Anyway, if you want to be tracking bounces, you really should look into
VERP.  James doesn't have an out-of-the-box ability to do this for you,
but you can write a mailet to track VERP bounces.

Which is something I have been looking into, but I am dreading the thought
of having to parse all of the different flavors of bounce messages that
exist.
Using VERP you can easily identify who you sent the original message to
which bounced, but it does not tell you why it bounced and it does not tell
you if the bounce is temporary, permanent, auto-reply, etc....

I have been looking around to see if someone has already done the bounce
parser. So far I have not had much luck.
This http://www.boogietools.com/products/productBoogieBounce.asp could have
been nice but its a win32 dll and costs :-(
Well, you could save yourself by effort by basing some of this just by who sent the bounce. If your mail server could not deliver, that's probably temporary. If the bounce comes from the postmaster (meaning it is a <> sender), then it is probably permanent. If the bounce comes from the recipient's email address (or actually anything else), it's probably a vacation notice. No sense trying to (natural-language) parse the message if you can make significant progress.

Anyway, this is great discussion to help sort out how a built-in VERP component within James could work. I think tracking responses from the bulk-mailings could be one of the best features of James as its a nice stepping stone to mail-based applications.

--
Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies