On (2003/05/30 14:42), Steve Brewin wrote:

> org.apache.mailet.MailAddress throws a parse exception proceessing the
> following From: address...
>
> <"nlt: Mail Administrator">
>
> My reading of RFC 822 suggests that MailAdress is correct, this is an
> invalid From: address.
>
> Firstly, am I correct?

I don't think so.  It looks valid, because:

1) Unqualified localparts are legal, and
2) Quoted strings in localparts are legal, and whitespace is legal
   within them.

> Secondly, assuming MailAddress and I are correct, is it a good idea for
> James to strictly enforce the RFC for originator fields?

I've just given up on implementing a strictly compliant syntactic
validator because it's so complex.  I just leave it up to $other_mta
[1], now.  I've looked at the C code used in $other_mta, and it's
hair-raising. :-)

Assuming you're smartrouting outbound mail through a more mature system,
I'd recommend leaving the decision up to that host for now.  After all,
you're using James for extensibility and application integration, rather
than high performance delivery and mature spool management and auditing
features, right?

Ciao,
Sheldon.

[1] Some established Unix MTA.  No need to get into specifics and risk a
    flamewar.