After a fit of similar frustration I wrote a short article on how to
validate e-mail addresses programmatically. It's half serious and half
entertainment, but it may be worth looking at.

Someone in one of the comments below the article mentioned that O'Reilly's
'Mastering Regular Expressions' has a RegEx that can be used that is
'pretty good'. According to the comment:

"The most comprehensive version of this expression that I have seen is
printed in Mastering Regular Expressions from O'Reilly. It is on page 316
and weighs in at 6,598 bytes long."

See "How to validate an e-mail address" -
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2379

|         |  "Noel J. Bergman"          |
|         |  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         |
|         |  05/30/2003 07:30 PM        |
|         |  Please respond to "James   |
|         |  Users List"                |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |      To: "James Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                             |
  |      cc: (bcc: Kevin Bedell/Systems/USHO/SunLife)
                                         |
  |      Subject:  RE: Is this a valid From: address?
                                         |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

> > javax.mail.internet.ParseException: Out of data at position 26

> no @ presumably.. can james handle a quoted local part without an
> @ is the question.

> I agree James should be handling this as a quoted local part with
> no host or domain part. i.e. "nlt: Mail Administrator"@localhost

Please point out where in either RFCs 821, 822, 2821, 2822 it indicates
that
such an address is legal.  I looked earlier, and I do not see anything that
permits a localpart with no domain, except for <postmaster>.  A bug in the
code, which certainly exists, is that it should check the position before
trying to access the @, so that it can report the error that it wants to
report.

             --- Noel