Yes, the 'zu' ending is an old negative form of verbs. To form it, it is
enough to add 'zu' to the negative form of a verb without 'nai'. For
example: kaka-nai -> kaka-zu, tabe-nai -> tabe-zu. Shinai becomes 'sezu',
while konai 'kozu'. In most uses, it can be substituted by '-naide' form
without change in meaning: hon wo motte ikazu ni -> hon wo motte ikanaide.

The translation of "I took a magazine to school instead of taking a book."
is:
Hon no kawari ni zasshi wo gakkou ni motte itta.

The 'no' in 'no wo' changes the part of sentence in front of it into a noun,
which can subsequently be used as an object for a verb (wo). In other words,
the sentence which I gave means something like "I forgot to take a book and
went to school."

Your sentence, without the "motte iku no wo" part means: "I forgot a book
and went to school." This is more or less the same as in the other sentence,
perhaps a bit less specific and thus might be misinterpreted.


Maciek


08 Apr 2007 11:03:07 -0700, randhir_nag <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>   Thanks.
> A couple of clarifications on your post:
>
> Is zuni by itself negative?
> I dont notice the verb being mentioned in negative form - appending
> zuni makes it negative.
> What will be the translation of this then:
> For ex. I took a magazine(intentional) to school instead of taking a
> book.
>
> And what does the 'no wo' add-on do?Isnt just a 'hon o wasurete
> gakkou ni ikimashita' same as the 'no wo' form?
>
> --- In [email protected]<Japanese_Language%40yahoogroups.com>,
> Misanthropos
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I went to school without my books.
> > > Inspite of studying so hard, I failed.
> >
> > I wasn't completely sure, how to say it perfectly gramatically
> myself,
> > so I asked my Japanese girlfriend. She said that you can translate
> the
> > sentences as follows:
> >
> > If not taking the books with you was intentional then:
> >
> > Hon / Shomotsu wo motte ikazu ni gakkou ni itta.
> >
> > If it wasn't intentional (i.e. you forgot to take them):
> >
> > Hon / Shomotsu wo motte iku no wo wasurete gakkou ni itta.
> >
> > The second sentence in both cases is:
> >
> > Isshoukenmei benkyou shita ga / noni, shiken ni ochita / goukaku
> > dekinakatta / shippai shita.
> >
> >
> > Maciek
> >
> >
> > >
> > > randhir_nag <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > How do i translate the following:
> > >
> > > I went to school without my books.
> > > Inspite of studying so hard, I failed.
> > >
> > > thanks.
> > >
> > >
> >
>
>  .
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to