> When I use JServ with blackdown jdk1.1.1.7 green threads it starts 1 Java
> process but using native threads it starts 7 Java processes and uses about
> 7 times as much memory.

It starts not 7 processes, but 7 threads. The threads are treated much
like processes. The memory they used on each refers the same memory
(although it is possible to acquire memory for a specific thread). When
that is said, evalueting how much memory is used for a process is not
very simple. It includes shared memory and loaded shared libraries and
executable. I find that I get the most precise guess by taking the SIZE
column in top minus the SHARE column. BTW: qps is a great graphical
process viewer where you can look at information about even memory
blocks that a program uses (only linux though).

> I turned on "top" and hit a servlet with multple requests to see which Java
> processes were used. It looks to me like they simulate threads by routing
> requests to different JVMs as they get busy rather than actually using native
> Linux threads.
>
> Is this a valid approach for a high traffic site? Does each JVM do it's own
> garbage collection separately or do they all stop at the same time?

No, they are threads.

What is your experience with native threaded jdk? Last time I tried it,
it just kept crashing.

Have a nice day
ThorÅge
--
Thor Åge Eldby                 FairPlay International
Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]