To me, I am just as likely to make contributions in 1.4 as I am 1.5 and I am running 1.5 in my daily life. I just don't find it all that hard to do 1.4 for Lucene since IntelliJ allows me to set my compiler version for the Lucene project and then forget about it, going about creating my patches. This is, after all, what we have been doing up until now. Sure there are a lot of benefits to 1.5 for coding, but I still plan on helping out even if we decide not to go to 1.5. Having said that, I think the versioning argument that Otis and others have made makes a lot of sense. I think stating that 2.0.x is the last 1.4 release is reasonable and that if there are people interested in maintaining branches then we should work to get them commit rights on those branches (is that even possible????) so that they can backport changes to 1.4 if they want. And of course the code is always available such that one can maintain their own copy for their company. This is something I have had to do from time to time as I waited for patches to be applied and it is not the end of the world. As has been stressed a number of times 2.1 is not likely for some time (at least based on our previous release history). In the meantime people can prepare for the switch. After all, how many 1.4 users are actually using the Trunk of Lucene versus some know release?

My two cents,
Grant

Chuck Williams wrote:
I think Otis put things perfectly and would like to second everything
he's said.

This is about facilitating more contributions from the majority vs.
creating a version that the minority can use.  To answer Otis's
question, "How small does the percentage of 1.4 users need to be, before
we can have 1.5 in Lucene?", I think there are some other factors that
need to be considered.

How many contributors to Lucene are generating contributions out of work
they are doing for their companies or other vocations, submitting these
to Lucene to achieve the benefits of community
usage/maintenance/enhancement, and using 1.5 as their daily environment?

My suspicion is that while the user ratio may be 2:1 1.5:1.4 that the
contributor ratio is even more skewed in favor of 1.5.  One of the
reasons I suspect this is that the 1.4 users who have spoken up thus far
do not seem to fully appreciate the volunteer-contribution model of the
Lucene community (e.g., see the thread below).  I think it is safe to
assume that potential contributors will be less motivated if they are
forced to back port their code.