I'm not sure we fully understand one another, but I'll try to explain
what I am thinking.

Yes, it has use after sorting.  It is used at query time for document
scoring in place of the TF and length norm components  (new scorers
would need to be created).

Using an impact based index moves most of the scoring from query time to
index time (trades query time flexibility for greatly improved query
search performance).  Because the field boosts, length norm, position
boosts, etc... are incorporated into a single document-term-score, you
can use a single field at search time.  It allows one posting list per
query term instead of the current one posting list per field per query
term (MultiFieldQueryParser wouldn't be necessary in most cases).  In
addition to having fewer posting lists to examine, you often don't need
to read to the end of long posting lists when processing with a
score-at-a-time approach (see Anh/Moffat's Pruned Query Evaluation Using
Pre-Computed Impacts, SIGIR 2006) for details on one potential
algorithm.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when mention leaving them out and
re-calculating them at merge time.

- Jeff