Shai Erera wrote:

Hi

Well, I have results from a 1M index for now (the index contains 100K
documents duplicated 10 times, so it's not the final test I'll run, but it still shows something). I ran 2000 short queries (2.4 keywords on average) on a 1M docs index, after 50 queries warm-up. Following are the results:

Current TopDocCollector:
------------------------------------
num queries: 2000
numDocs=1000000
total time: 15910 ms
avg time: 7.955 ms
avg. allocations: 79.7445
total allocation time: 0
avg. num results: 54841.26

Avg number of allocations per query is ~80? Ie, there were only ~80 inserts in to the PQ, meaning it had very quickly accumulated the top scoring docs and then doesn't change much after that? This seems surprisingly low? Am I mis-reading this or something?

Modified TopDocCollector:
-------------------------------------
num queries: 2000
numDocs=1000000
total time: 15909 ms
avg time: 7.9545 ms
avg. allocations: 9.8565
total allocation time: 0
avg. num results: 54841.26

As you can see, the actual allocation time is really negligible and there isn't much difference in the avg. running times of the queries. However, the *current* runs performed a lot worse at the beginning, before the OS cache
warmed up.

I'm also baffled by that difference, especially if we are only talking about 80 allocations per query to begin with. Did you flush OS cache before running "Modified" to make sure it wasn't just using the cache?

The only significant difference is the number of allocations - the modified TDC and PQ allocate ~90% (!) less objects. This is significant, especially
in heavy loaded systems.

But, 80 allocations is really not very many to begin with?

Mike