I think we said that we wanted a 2.4 release. There are a bunch of
issues with Fix Version 2.4. And it would be nice to get them into 2.4
instead of 3.x, because some of them involve fairly big API changes,
like LUCENE-584 or LUCENE-831. Then we could get rid of all the
deprecated APIs in 3.0 and clean up the code.

One question that came to my mind: What's our policy for file format
backwards-compatibility? Is it the same as for APIs. That would mean
that Lucene 3.0 would have to be able to read indexes built with 2.9 but
not with earlier versions. I'd be all for such a policy, because that
would clean up some classes significantly.

-Michael