: Hmm, actually this is probably too restrictive. But maybe we could say
: that Lucene 3.0 doesn't have to be able to read indexes built with
: versions older than 2.0?

that is in fact the position that lucene has had since as long as i've ben
involved with it...

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/BackwardsCompatibility

>> File formats are back-compatible between major versions. Version X.N
>> should be able to read indexes generated by any version after and
>> including version X-1.0, but may-or-may-not be able to read indexes
>> generated by version X-2.N.

3.X must be able to read file created by 2.Y (where X and Y can be any
number)

-Hoss