You make a good point. I think I will prob make this change.

Asgeir Frimannsson (JIRA) wrote:
     [
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1026?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12576858#action_12576858
 ]

Asgeir Frimannsson commented on LUCENE-1026:

Is there any specific reason why this indexaccessor is limited to FSDirectory
based indexes? I see FSDirectory.getFile() is used as a unique key in the list
of IndexAccessors in the factory. However, it seems more natural to use
dir.getLockID() for this purpose. Then it would be possible to use a generic
Directory rather than the file-system specific FSDirectory.

Provide a simple way to concurrently access a Lucene index from multiple threads

                 Key: LUCENE-1026
         Attachments: DefaultIndexAccessor.java,
DefaultMultiIndexAccessor.java, IndexAccessor-02.04.2008.zip,
IndexAccessor-02.07.2008.zip, IndexAccessor-02.28.2008.zip,
IndexAccessor-1.26.2008.zip, IndexAccessor-2.15.2008.zip, IndexAccessor.java,
IndexAccessor.zip, IndexAccessorFactory.java, MultiIndexAccessor.java,
shai-IndexAccessor-2.zip, shai-IndexAccessor.zip, shai-IndexAccessor3.zip,
SimpleSearchServer.java, StopWatch.java, TestIndexAccessor.java

For building interactive indexes accessed through a network/internet (multiple
threads).
This builds upon the LuceneIndexAccessor patch. That patch was not very newbie
friendly and did not properly handle MultiSearchers (or at the least made it
easy to get into trouble).
This patch simplifies things and provides out of the box support for sharing
the IndexAccessors across threads. There is also a simple test class and
example SearchServer to get you started.
Future revisions will be zipped.
Works pretty solid as is, but could use the ability to warm new Searchers.