markharw00d wrote:

>>Another important driver is the "out-of-the-box experience".
>>we need a "standard distro" ...which would be the core plus cherry- pick certain important contrib modules (highlighter, >> SweetSpotSimilarity,snowball, spellchecker, etc.) and bundle them together. Is that not Solr, or at least the start of a path that ultimately ends up there? I suspect any attempts at "bundling" Lucene code may snowball until you've rebuilt Solr.

Yeah I guess it is... though Solr includes the whole webapp too, whereas I think there's a natural bundle that wouldn't include that.

Still, I think it's important for Lucene itself to have strong defaults out of the box.

If anything I suspect a more interesting initiative might be to "unbundle" Solr and see some more of it's features emerge as standalone modules in Lucene/contrib (or a suitably renamed area e.g. "extensions")?

I like that!

Mike