Op Saturday 06 September 2008 18:53:39 schreef Shalin Shekhar Mangar:

> The features are more important than the code but it will of course
> help a lot too. I think a good starting point for us (Lucene/Solr
> folks) would be to study Ocean's source and any documentation that
> you can provide so that we can also suggest an optimal integration
> strategy or alternate implementation ideas. Until now the bulk of
> such work has been on your shoulders. I appreciate your patience and
> the amount of work you have put in. These features will be a huge
> value proposition for our users and a collaboration will be the good
> for the community in the long term.

Some experience from larger patches:
- stepwise is good,
- so plan for steps, in which
- each step is improvement on its own.

Then:
- try to keep the first step as small as possible,
- with some luck, someone else will improve the first step,
- learn from the improvement,
- repeat, and never hurry.

Some comments on the current patch at LUCENE-1313:
- Copyright is assigned to individual authors, better assign that to
  ASF.
- Individual authors are mentioned in the code, that's not lucene
  policy at the moment.
- Some files do not contain an ASF licence, not a real problem.
- The directory structure could also be in contrib/ocean as
  top directory.
- There is a whole package of logging in there, but there's no logging
  in lucene at the moment.
- There is at least one empty class, SearcherPolicy.
- Unseen so far:
   - the second half of the patch,
   - the java code within the class {...} statements (sorry.)

Even though the patch is down to 25% of it's first size,
it's still 474 kb, which is large by any standard. So the
question is: is there a first step to be taken from this
patch that would be an improvement on its own?

Regards,
Paul Elschot