On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 5:15 PM, robert engels <reng...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> It is definitely going to increase the index size, but not any more than
> than the external one would (if my understanding is correct).
> The nice thing is that you don't have to try and keep documents numbers in
> sync - it will be automatic.
>
> Maybe I don't understand what your external index is storing. Given that
> the document contains 'robert' but the user enters' obert', what is the
> process to find the matching documents?

heres a simple example. neighborhood stored for robert is 'robert obert
rbert roert ...'  this is indexed in a tokenized field.

at query time user typoes robert and enters 'tobert'. again neighborhood is
generated 'tobert obert tbert ...'
the system does a query on tobert OR obert OR tbert ... and robert is
returned because 'obert' is present in both neighborhoods.
in this example, by storing k=1 deletions you guarantee to satisfy all edit
distance matches <= 1 without linear scan.
you get some false positives too with this approach, thats why what comes
back is only a CANDIDATE and true edit distance must be used to verify. this
might be tricky to do with your method, i don't know.

> Is the external index essentially a constant list, that given obert, the
> source words COULD BE robert, tobert, reobert etc., and it contains no
> document information so:

no. see above, you generate all possible 1-character deletions of the index
term and store them, then at query time you generate all possible
1-character deletions of the query term. basically, LUCENE and LUBENE are 1
character different, but they are the same (LUENE) if you delete 1 character
from both of them. so you dont need to store LUCENE LUBENE LUDENE, you just
store LUENE.

--
Robert Muir
rcm...@gmail.com