I think you would need to store the position in the stream using position == to the k factor. Pretty straightforward, both for indexing and for searching.

I think if you want the utmost in performance this is the way to go.

If you don't want to store all of the additional data, I still think a better fuzzy search can be done without the external index entirely. As I see it, the external index's sole purpose (in your case) is to provide "indexed" words at a certain edit distance given a certain source word. Using a combination of inverting the alg, and a binary selective search on the term index.