> We'd also need to ensure when a merge kicks off, the SegmentReaders
used by the merging are not newly reopened but also "borrowed" from

The IW merge code currently opens the SegmentReader with a 4096
buffer size (different than the 1024 default), how will this case be
handled?

> reopen would then flush any added docs to new segments

IR.reopen would call IW.flush?

> When IW.commit is called, it also then asks each SegmentReader to
commit. Ie, IR.commit would not be used.

Why is this? SegmentReader.commitChanges would be called instead?

> Then when reopen is called, we must internally reopen that clone()
such that its deleted docs are carried over to the newly reopened
reader and newly flushed docs from IW are visible as new
SegmentReaders.

If deletes are made to the external reader (meaning the one obtained
by IW.getReader), then deletes are made via IW.deleteDocument, then
reopen is called, what happens in this case? We will need to merge
the del docs from the internal clone into the newly reopened reader?

> the IR becomes transactional as well -- deletes are not visible
immediately until reopen is called

Interesting. I'd rather somehow merge the IW and external reader's
deletes, otherwise it seems like we're radically changing how IR
works. Perhaps the IW keeps a copy of the external IR that has the
write lock (thinking of IR.clone where the write lock is passed onto
the latest clone). This way IW.getReader is about the same as
reopen/clone (because it will call reopen on presumably the latest
IR).