bq. Though we have 9 2.9 issues now...

Right - we are kind of contingent on that - most look near done though,
and some are documentation. I'd be happy to plow mindless work into
anything someone doesn't think they can finish soon if thats an issue.

bq. At the end of the freeze you'd create the release candidate(s)?

Sure. I think we need a release candidate for java-user on wed as well -
not exactly an rc, but this is what Lucene 2.9 is shaping up as if you
want to help with testing and javadoc. We want users to be able to
easily help us spot stuff over the week. So possible new rc's over the
week as well.

- Mark