I would love to set goals that are ~3 months out so that we don't have another 1 year release cycle. For a 2.0 release where we could have more back-compatibly flexibility, i would love to see some work that may be too ambitious... In particular, the config spaghetti needs some attention.

I don't see the need to increment solr to 2.0 for the lucene 3.0 change -- of course that needs to be noted, but incrementing the major number in solr only makes sense if we are going to change *solr* significantly.

The lucene 2.x -> 3.0 upgrade path seems independent of that to me. I would even argue that with solr 1.4 we have already required many lucene 3.0 changes -- All my custom lucene stuff had to be reworked to work with solr 1.4 (tokenizers & multi-reader filters).

In general, I wonder where the solr back-compatibility contract applies (and to what degree). For solr, I would rank the importance as: #1 - the URL API syntax. Client query parameters should change as little as possible
#2 - configuration
#3 - java APIs

With that in mind, i think 'solr 1.5 with lucene 3.x' makes the most sense. Unless we see making serious changes to solr that would warrent a major release bump.

Lucene has an explict back-compatibility contract:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/BackwardsCompatibility

I don't know if solr has one... if we make one, I would like it to focus on the URL syntax+configuration

ryan