My MBP has 7168.

Maybe something like MySQL or other tools modify it, but I'm pretty positive I
didn't.

At any rate,  I feel pretty safe assuming no one is running a production system
on a MBP...

I suppose if we wanted to get really fancy, we could, on *NIX systems, exec
ulimit and parse the results and then choose the appropriate setting.  I
personally think, however, that isn't time well spent and would just as soon
have it set to false and tied to the Version.