I'm not sure that it's safe to assume that production use of Lucene is not on a laptop or that it is always on big iron.

It makes sense that Lucene is embedded in all sorts of desktop applications that might run on small machines. That certainly describes the application that I work on.

I'm a bit leery of what is looking to me like Version hell. For example, I need one version to ensure backward compatibility wrt file handles, another wrt analysis, another wrt ....

As long as there is a clear way to (un)set the feature and it is documented well, I'd skip the Version mechanism on an upgrade.

-- DM