On Mar 16, 2010, at 2:47 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:

> On 03/16/2010 at 6:06 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>> Does anyone know how other projects fold in IRC...?
>
> I gather from the deafening silence that we'll have to figure it out as we
> go...
>
> I think some (not all) of the discomfort associated with IRC could be
> addressed with a permanent, searchable, linkable archive of #lucene.
>
> I went looking for IRC loggers and found http://colabti.org/.  One of the
> things hosted there is a searchable, linkable permanent archive of several
> freenode channels.  I posted on #irclogger asking about hosting #lucene
> archive, and apparently all we have to do is ask, after first determining
> that nobody objects.  Here's a link (not incidentally, this is exactly what
> we will have for #lucene once the service is switched on):
>
> http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_log/irclogger?date=2010-03-16#l2
>
> So, would anybody participating on #lucene object to a permanent archive?
>
> (I'm also going to provide a link to this thread on #lucene to make sure
> everybody there knows about the issue.)

There's also a lot of chatter that happens on IRC, so logging is going to have
a lot of noise.  I'm still on the fence on what to do.  I don't want to get in
people's way, but we also need to have traceability about decisions, and we
certainly can't have answers like "We discussed this on IRC and you missed it,
too bad" happening (not saying that has happening, just saying I don't want to
see it).

-Grant