On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But at the same time can we make sure that the decisions that are made on
> IRC are still being described in a jira issue?

+1

Any time something is discussed on IRC, it must be summarized on the
lists or in an issue, with the details based on what was discussed, or
else it didn't happen....

IRC is a great way to hash out ideas, brainstorm, shoot the breeze,
vent, etc.  Much of what's discussed doesn't pan out... but when stuff
does we always bring to the lists...

Those of us spending some time on IRC have been trying to do exactly
that.  Maybe we've been falling short sometimes, not providing enough
detail, so we should fix that with time.  We're all still learning as
we go...

Also: if an issue is opened and it's missing details, regardless of
whether it was born in IRC or some other place, people should simply
ask questions, punch holes, etc.  When another set of eyes, or the
same set of eyes some time later, look at the issue, very different
and healthy iterations happen.  Most certainly if something seems like
a good idea during IRC discussions that doesn't not mean the debate is
done -- rather the issue is opened and lots of other people chime in.

Nothing is "decided" on IRC... only ideas are born... that's all.

Stepping back, Lucene/Solr are clearly at a fast pace of innovation
right now, and this is really very healthy.  It'd already been fast a
few months ago, but it seems to be accelerating... I think that's
because suddenly we have quite a few strong [near-] full-time devs
here, and, because IRC allows for real-time conversations for
brainstorming.

This is net/net good for both Lucene and Solr and I think we should
try to find a way to make IRC work well so devs that do happen to
have the time (and, the list will change with time -- bright stars never
shine for long) can brainstorm and bring new ideas to the community...

Mike