On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Yavor Kolarov wrote:

> Recently an interesting question crossed my mind - is there a project for
> "emedding" JRE as part of Linux system. By embedding I mean starting it at
> system boot or the first time it's needed and keep it running, so that when
> the user starts an Java application java is already there and start time is
> shortened. One of the reasons lots of users avoid java is because even the
> simplest application loads several times slower than its naive ecuivalent.
> I know about the kernel module that invokes JRE when you exec a java .class
> file(with appropriate +x permission). But it doesn't keep JVM is not resident.

We have the same problem with just about all of the non-native/interpreted
code run under Linux (i.e., Perl, Python, etc).  I think something like
that would severely impact performance of the kernel.

But something like that would be cool for an embedded application, like
for a hardware appliance.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/