On Wed, 2 May 2001, Ole Jacob Taraldset wrote:

> OK, I don't know a thing about jre's internals, but I can't imagine that it
> can be very hard to make the win and linux versions compatible. Now that all
> win fonts are available on Linux. Can somebody please explain this to me. If
> it is possible to make a fix for this, then why not? Most browsers (all?)
> have code that is designed to handle badly coded HTML. Why should this be any
> different?

90% of the problems I've seen are caused by
  1) program hard-cdes a font which is native to windows-only
  2) program hard-cdes fixed sizes for fields based on the exact size of the
     windows-only font
  3) program uses null layout everywhere so that the positions of strings
     can't be adjusted when the user resizes the frame
  4) in way too many cases the frame has disabled resize control

It's actually easier to write code that works cross platform.  I've encountered
damn few Windows developers willing to trade total control for their user
convenience.

I stick to the fonts provided with java, I never use null layout,
and I never, ever disable resize control on frames.

I've never had a problem with applications looking like crap on any of the
platforms I support currently. (Windows, Linux, Solaris.)

In any event, handling badly coded HTML isn't the problem.  All of these
font issues are status quo if your desktop is 1600x1200 and you don't have
Arial.  Most of the web pages out there demand 800x600 and a Windows-based
browser before they work properly.  I bypass the majority of web pages
out there beause they override my browser's font settings with their
own and I! Can! Not! Read! their text.

All of my customers (so far) are Solaris people (big telcos.)  It's a
simple matter to make applications cross platform  Don't fight the JVM.

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson