On Wed, 2 May 2001, Ole Jacob Taraldset wrote:

> To fix my specific problem, what if I:
>
> 1) Run xfs with tt-support and copy all my Windows fonts to LInux
> 2) Edit font.properties to use the win fonts
>
> This should fix all my problems, or not?

Nope.  The Unix/Linux JVMs do not use xfs fonts, they only use
fonts stored in TrueType format on the machine's own disks.

The JVM asks the X11 server for its font path, but instead of asking
it for its list of fonts, it goes rooting through the font path looking
directly at the font.dir files it can find on the machine's disk.
The last time I looked into xfs, it provided TrueType support by
converting native fonts in ram.  Since these fonts don't exist on
disk in that format, the JVM ignores them.

There's also the little problem of violating Microsoft's license by
copying the font files to another platform.

Besides, this might fix the problem for your own machine, but it won't fix
it for any of your other users.

--
Joi Ellis                    Software Engineer
Aravox Technologies          [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried.  Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
           - Chris Johnson