I would recommend using JDK 1.3.1, it is way faster than 1.2.2.

Now one of two things may have occured, either you really got a stack overflow
or stack overflow was incorrectly detected. If its the first case try
giving java some more heap space to use (java -Xmx128m ). If its the second
case you could be either be seeing a rare JIT bug or alternatively it
could be the change in stack orientation in Redhat 7.1 and other 2.4/glibc
releases. The Sun/blackdown 1.3.1 has fixes for that situation or
alternatively
set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

regards
calvin