> Hmm .. would increasing the heap size affect the stack size ?

It is very possible you will see a stack overflow if the heap is
exhausted. The options to change the stack in non-hotspot vms were -ss for c
stack -oss for Java stacks. These are for each thread and are not configurable
in the hotspot vm.

> Isn't there a default setting for the max stack size ? Would you know the
> option for changing this
> value (the stack size setting) for blackdown jdk 1.2.2 ?

see above, I don't know off hand what the defaults are.

> > If its the second
> > case you could be either be seeing a rare JIT bug or alternatively it
>
> Is there a bugid (in blackdown.org or java.sun.com) that describes this JIT
> bug ? Any details ?

I meant a new rare JIT bug, the way stack overflow is detected is
complicated when using a JIT.

> > could be the change in stack orientation in Redhat 7.1 and other 2.4/glibc
> > releases. The Sun/blackdown 1.3.1 has fixes for that situation or
> > alternatively
> > set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
>
> What's the relation between the Sun 1.3.x Linux jdk and Blackdown 1.3.x jdk
> ? Are
> these one and the same ? How about the earlier 1.2.x versions ?

A large percentage of the 1.3.x code is shared which is good for end users
as it gets tested on a larger scale than possible before. Blackdown have
some value add code and do debian packaging etc

regards
calvin