On Jan 7, 2005, at 12:58 PM, Dominic Duval wrote:

Hey Marc,

Note, however, that the information contained in this email summarizes
my own interpretation of Sun and Blackdown access rules to the Java VM
source tree and should not be considered legal advice, nor be viewed as
official answers from Blackdown, my employer, or myself.

Thanks Dominic, I understand and appreciate your interpretation.

We want to port Blackdown to a Linux distribution running on a CPU not
currently supported. Reading the information on the Blackdown and Sun
web sites leaves me with some questions with regards to distributing
our build which would be derived from both Sun's source and Blackdown's
patches.

Just our of curiosity, what's that CPU?

Sorry I can't answer that yet, I don't have permission from our customer.

My main questions are...

1. Does applying the Blackdown patches change any of the licensing
requirements. In other words does it add any restrictions to the Sun
licensing requirements compared to only using the Sun sources?

Here's how it works: Blackdown has its own CVS where sources are stored.
In order to get access to that CVS you need to 1) Contact the CVS
maintainers 2) Have them provide you the contract, which is really
between you and Sun Microsystems

This sounds great but without getting any replies from the contacts on the web site it is difficult!
I understood that some Linux distros (RedHat?) were distributing the Blackdown JRE so there must be one live contact email where they were able to verify licensing.

Moreover, the Sun Community License is already restricted enough. You
can't really use it for a product you'll distribute.

Yes, but I'm trying to find out if there are any additional restrictions. For instance, from my understanding of the Sun information, you can distribute the JRE (once it has passed the JCK and been evaluated by Sun). However, if I've based my JRE on Blackdown patches in addition to Sun sources does it change anything?

2. Are the Blackdown patches to the JRE available for download?

Not that I know of. The contract between Blackdown developpers and Sun
Microsystems allows us to distribute patches, but we need to be *really*
careful not to provide too much stuff in the patch. That might explain
why you won't find any Blackdown patch on the Internet. I know I
wouldn't take the risk to distribute one :)

On the other hand, the way I understand it, the source tree you'll get
access to from Sun is way different from the one we use for the
Blackdown project. So a Blackdown patch might now apply cleanly on the
Sun source tree. Not sure about it though, as I have never downloaded
sources directly from sun.

That is interesting, I'm not sure it is clear to me. You state "The contract between Blackdown developpers and Sun Microsystems allows us to distribute patches". If the patches aren't against the Sun source (obtained through the SCSL) then how can they be of use to people recompiling/porting to their distros?

3. Are the Blackdown patches to the JDK available for download?

See previous answer.

4. If the answer to questions 3 and/or 4 is no, is it available if we fax proof that we are licensed. And if so to both the JRE and SDK patches?

No idea. I don't have control over the cvs and/or the registration process. Karl Asha does.

Karl was the first contact I tried two months ago but no reply. I'll send you a private email if you don't mind verifying have the right address. Some the pages on the site may have an old address.

In my opinion doing this will be difficult.

-Dominic

I understand but if we have Sun verify that we are licensed under the SCSL is then possible to access the patches?

Thanks Dominic,
Marc