Hello,

EH> What about handling BooleanQuery's nested within a BooleanQuery?
EH> You'll need some recursion.
thanks for all hints, i've re-coded the method to handle nested
BooleanQueries

EH> Could you share that filter with the community?
Of course, the code is in the attachment

>>     // The first clause is required
>>     if(bClauses[0].prohibited != true)
>>       bClauses[0].required = true;
EH> Why do you flip the required flag like this?
On the search interface, near the keyword field, there is a combo
with 4 values :
- KW_MODE_OR      : "Search for at least one of the terms"
- KW_MODE_AND     : "Search for all the terms"
- KW_MODE_PHRASE  : "Search for exact phrase"
- KW_MODE_BOOLEAN : "Search using boolean query" (for advanced users)
  I flip the request field only when boolean expression is selected
  It force the first term to be required so the user will not
  need to specify the "+" or "AND" operator
  Maybe there is a more elegant way to do this ?
  The code is following

  Thanks
---
 Sven (is not a bersek)

*/-------------------------------- CODE ---------------------------/*
// mots clés contenus dans le cv
if (cvSearchBean.keywords != null &&
    cvSearchBean.keywords.length() != 0) {
  // "Tous les Mot clés" ou "Au moins un des mots clés"
  boolean required = false;
  if ((required = cvSearchBean.keywordModeId == KW_MODE_AND) ||
       cvSearchBean.keywordModeId == KW_MODE_OR) {
    final Query q = CreateCustomQuery(QueryParser.parse(
           cvSearchBean.keywords, FIELD_RESUME_BODY, analyzer));
    if (q instanceof BooleanQuery) {
      final BooleanClause[] terms = ((BooleanQuery) q).getClauses();
      for (int i = 0; i < terms.length; i++) {
        terms[i].prohibited = false;
        terms[i].required = required;
    bQuery.add(q, true, false);
  }
  // Expression exacte
  if (cvSearchBean.keywordModeId == KW_MODE_PHRASE) {
    final PhraseQuery q = new PhraseQuery();
    final TokenStream ts = analyzer.tokenStream(FIELD_RESUME_BODY,
                          new StringReader(cvSearchBean.keywords));
    Token token;
    while ((token = ts.next()) != null)
      q.add(new Term(FIELD_RESUME_BODY, token.termText()));
    bQuery.add(q, true, false);
  }
  // Expression booléenne
  if (cvSearchBean.keywordModeId == KW_MODE_BOOLEAN) {
    final Query query = QueryParser.parse(cvSearchBean.title,
                                        FIELD_RESUME_BODY, analyzer);
    if (query instanceof BooleanQuery) {
      final BooleanClause[] bClauses =
                              ((BooleanQuery) query).getClauses();
      if (bClauses[0].prohibited != true)
        bClauses[0].required = true;
    }
    bQuery.add(CreateCustomQuery(query), true, false);
  }

*/--------------------------END OF CODE --------------------------/*

EH>     Erik

package org.apache.lucene.analysis;

/**
 * Copyright 2005 The Apache Software Foundation
 *
 *
 *     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 * limitations under the License.
 */

import org.apache.lucene.analysis.Token;
import org.apache.lucene.analysis.TokenFilter;
import org.apache.lucene.analysis.TokenStream;

/**
 * A filter that replace accented characters in the ISO Latin 1 character set by
 * their unaccented equivalent. The case will not be altered.
 * <p>
 * For instance, 'à' will be replace by 'a'.
 * <p>
 */
public class ISOLatin1AccentFilter extends TokenFilter {
        public ISOLatin1AccentFilter(TokenStream input) {
                super(input);
        }

        /**
         * To replace accented characters by unaccented equivalents.
         */
        public final Token next() throws java.io.IOException {
                final Token t = input.next();
                if (t == null)
                        return null;
                // Return a token with filtered characters.
                return new Token(RemoveAccents(t.termText()), t.startOffset(),
t.endOffset(), t.type());
        }

        /**
         * To replace accented characters in a String by unaccented equivalents.
         */
        public final static String RemoveAccents(String input) {
                final StringBuffer output = new StringBuffer();
                for (int i = 0; i < input.length(); i++) {
                        switch (input.charAt(i)) {
                                case '\u00C0' : // À
                                case '\u00C1' : // Á
                                case '\u00C2' : // Â