1) also index the field untokenized and use a straight prefix query
See my reply to Chris, not sure I can afford the index size increment.

2) index a magic token at the start of the title and include that in a
phrase query:
   "_START_ the quick"

ooooh, that's clever.

3) use a SpanFirst query (but you have to make the Java Query object yourself)

Will SpanFirst find the phrase at the start, but where the term might not be compelete, ie. search would be "The qu*"?

the _START_ trick might do it, and efficient in terms of index size etc.

Paul