first off response to my own post, I meant PhraseQuery instead.

But, since we're only tokenizing this field ,and not storing the entire contents of the field, I'm not sure this is ever going to work, is it?

I notice that if I have a title "auto update", then the phrase query trick works if it searches on

        title:"0start0 auto*"

but does not find any matches for

        title:"0start0 aut*"

I'm a bit stuck.