Eric,

Thanks for the information. The id is generated by database and it is unique. So I only need to index it and don't need to store it, right

Tony

From: "Erick Erickson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Index performance
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:48:12 -0400

Another question is if I can delete document based on storyIndentity field
(
using IndexReader.deleteDocuments(term)). Since storyIdentity field is not
indexed, is there any performance issue or I should index it too (and
store
it)?

As to your very last question, No, there'll be no performance penalty.
That's because there won't be any docs deleted <G>....

From the javadoc (2.1) for IndexReader.deleteDocuments(Term)

" Deletes all documents that have a given term indexed."

You may be ahead if you index it UN_TOKENIZED though since
indexing it tokenized could lead to "interesting" results. Say you
have three of these IDs.
"this is id1"
"this is id2"
"this is id3"

Things would be fine if your terms were "id1", "id2", or "id3".
But if your term were "this", you would remove all your documents
if you indexed the identity TOKENIZED because "this" is a term
in all three docs for the identity field.

And to add to Otis's comment, optimizing is a pretty expensive
step in my experience...

Best
Erick