There are quite a few ways to do this...you just read in the file to create a list of the words and when your query parser sees the right keyword either use a TokenFilter that expands to each word or just add each word to a BooleanQuery as a Should clause (or expand to a proper Lucene syntax string). This is basically just a thesaurus and you shouldn't find it too terribly difficult to implement.

- Mark

Charles Patridge wrote:
I have looked around on Lucene web site as well as some documentation but have not found anything to do with Concept Search. My definition of Concept Search is as follows: 1. I would have a file (list) of various phrases / N-grams which I would like to Lucene to use as a search basis without having to type in all these phrases manually, and have Lucene return the results as it would normally if a single search query was entered. 2. An example would be - find !Wild_Animals! - where the "!" would indicate that this is a search that would use a file (ie Wild_Animals.txt) and read in the various phrases within this file and perform the search in the corpus for these phrases. 3. The contents of Wild_Animals.txt could look like this:
  BUFFALO
  BEAR
  MOOSE
  COYOTE
  WOLF
  MOUNTAIN GOAT
  MOUNTAIN SHEEP
  DALL SHEEP
  DEER
  KODIAK BEAR
  BROWN BEAR
  BLACK BEAR
  etc etc etc
4. Is my idea of a Concept Search feasible / doable??? If so, can you point me to any documentation that exists whereby this could be done within Lucene Please send any info you have on this to me - [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thank you in advance for your time and efforts.

Charles S Patridge - PDPC, Ltd.
172 Monce Road - Burlington, CT 06013 USA
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: http://www.sconsig.com
Web: http://pages.prodigy.net/charles_s_patridge
Web: http://www.munic.state.ct.us/burlington