2. Do retrieveTerms(int docNum) and createQuery(PriorityQueue q) need to be private? Can they be public? If not public, could they at least be protected?

I would think protected would be fine, what is your case for it being public?

From the solr RequestHandler, I want to return the "interesting" terms used for MLT. If retrieveTerms() is public, the handler could do this for any MLT implementation. If protected, it would be locked to its own subclass of MLT (ok, but not ideal).

Since retrieveInterestingTerms(Reader) is public, it seems reasonable.

- - - -

In implementing the handler, i ran into another related problem...

Is there any way to walk through a PriorityQueue without destroying it? Everything I see calls pq.pop() in a loop. I would like to be able to use the queue to construct the MLT query and for display. For large documents, constructing the "interesting" terms can be very slow, so doing it twice isn't a good idea.

thanks
ryan