After checking the Lucene API of ParallelReader it seems that the star score
could be stored in different index which shares the same identifier for the
documents. Such index could be small (partitioned to many small indices?) so
the updates can be fast. Is that what you meant Andrzej? ;-)

Anyway, I remember different technique which I once mentioned in Lucene mail
list taking inspiration from book called Programming Collective
Intelligence<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529321/>.
The idea is not to store score (may be I should call it user preference)
into index but into neural net. One useful side effect is that this
technique could score reasonably even document without any stars (meaning
"similar" document to highly started documents could score better even if
they haven't been stared by any user yet).

Regards,
Lukas