BInding threads to processors - in many situations - improves
throughput by reducing memory overhead. When a thread is running on a
core, its state is local; if it is timeshared-out and either 1)
swapped back in on the same core, it is likely that there will be  the
core's L1 cache; or 2) onto another core, there will not be a cache
hit and the state will have to be fetched from L2 or main memory,
incurring a performance hit, esp in the latter. See Lundberg, L. 1997.
Evaluating the Performance Implications of Binding Threads to
Processors. 393.http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel3/5020/13768/00634520.pdf
for more info.

If you are using JVM on Solaris on SPARC, you should take a look at
the following links for tuning (the Sun JVM on Solaris SPARC has many
more performance tuning parameters available), including threading:
- http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/threads/threads.html
- http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/vm/thread-priorities.html
- http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&context=SSEQTP&uid=swg21107291
- http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/performance.jsp