Anshun,

I think I am dealing with an index of similar scale: 6.4 million
records, 83 GB index (see [1] for more info)

I mistakenly thought from your original posting that you were
interested in binding threads to processors for indexing, but it is
sounding like you want to do this for searching. I am not sure if this
would work well for searching, as there is a great deal more ephemeral
state. But I am not sure.

With respect to handling concurrency for search, could you describe
your environment better?
- Is it an web-base application?
- What sort of problems do you have now?
- What are your java command line parameters (heap, etc.)
- What are the performance expectations, i.e. average search < N1
seconds; median search time < N2 seconds
- Are you storing any fields and if so, do you need to store so many?
- Do you have the choice of serving searches from multiple machines?
i.e. load balance across >1 machine; We've found this to be one of the
best solutions for scaling;
- One thing that I do for both indexing and searching is that the
threads that are doing these tasks I always shift their priority to
MAX, so that they are run in preference to threads doing other things,
like preparing Documents, etc.

If it is a web-type environment, one solution is to set-up a
ThreadPoolExecutor[2] with a fixed number of threads and a limited
queue size (use a bound BlockingQueue[3]) . You would have to
experiment with the numbers to get the sweet-spot for your situation.
I would suggest starting with 2 times the number processors (cores)
and a queue of say 20. Requests are queued, but if the request cannot
be queued, at least the application then knows that it is too busy and
you can give the user a message "The system is too busy at this
moment, please try again in a few seconds..." kind of thing. The
advantage is also that when things are very busy, you have the
accepted requests handled in a reasonable amount of time, and some
users being told things are too busy, as opposed to all the requests
going in and the system thrashing (and perhaps running-out of memory
at the same time) and everyone's queries being very slow.

But I would suggest setting-up a test harness to emulate your
production conditions to try these things out...

-Glen

[1]http://zzzoot.blogspot.com/2008/04/lucene-indexing-performance-benchmarks.html
[2]http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/concurrent/ThreadPoolExecutor.html
[3]http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/concurrent/BlockingQueue.html