Each sentence will be a document.  Read the file a line at a time and
make each line a separate document.

The user input will be a word, or words, which you can pass through a
QueryParser to get a Query which can be used to search the index, and
which will return matching documents i.e. sentences.

Lucene in Action is strongly recommended.  Somewhat out of date but
all the core concepts are still valid.

--
Ian.

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Brittany Jacobs
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just trying to grasp the concept.
>

> I want to search a text file where each line is a separate item to be
> searched.  When text it entered by the user, I want to return all the lines
> in which that text appears.
>
> For example, if the text file has:
>
> I like apples.
>
> I went to the store.
>
> I bought an apple.
>

> If the user searches "apple", I want it to return the first and third
> sentences.
>

> Is each sentence a Token?  Is the user input going to be a QueryParser?  How
> should I read in the file so that each line of text is a token to search?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Brittany Jacobs
>
> Java Developer
>
> JBManagement, Inc.
>
> 12 Christopher Way, Suite 103
>
> Eatontown, NJ 07724
>
> ph: 732-542-9200 ext. 229
>
> fax: 732-380-0678
>
> email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  • getting st... Brittany Jacobs
    • Re: g... Ian Lea
      • R... Brittany Jacobs
    • Re: g... roy-lucene-user