Why should each line be a Document ? If there is a single document having
each line as a Field, then the search would result in a single Document as a
'hit' not the individual lines matching it. Is this right ?

Nagesh

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 7:21 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello Brittany,
>
> I think the easiest thing for you to do is make each line a Document.  You
> might want a FileName and LineNumber field on top of a "Text" field, this
> way if you need to gather all the lines of your File back together again
> you
> can do a search on the FileName.
>
> So in your case:
>
> Document 1
>  FileName: [the file]
>  LineNumber: 1
>  Text: I like apples
> Document 2
>  ...etc
>
> Regards,
> Roy
>
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Brittany Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >wrote:
>
> > Just trying to grasp the concept.
> >

> > I want to search a text file where each line is a separate item to be
> > searched.  When text it entered by the user, I want to return all the
> lines
> > in which that text appears.
> >
> > For example, if the text file has:
> >
> > I like apples.
> >
> > I went to the store.
> >
> > I bought an apple.
> >

> > If the user searches "apple", I want it to return the first and third
> > sentences.
> >

> > Is each sentence a Token?  Is the user input going to be a QueryParser?
> >  How
> > should I read in the file so that each line of text is a token to search?
> >

> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> > Brittany Jacobs
> >
> > Java Developer
> >
> > JBManagement, Inc.
> >
> > 12 Christopher Way, Suite 103
> >
> > Eatontown, NJ 07724
> >
> > ph: 732-542-9200 ext. 229
> >
> > fax: 732-380-0678
> >
> > email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  • getting st... Brittany Jacobs
    • Re: g... Ian Lea
      • R... Brittany Jacobs
    • Re: g... roy-lucene-user