Or ... split the two notions apart so that you have Field.Index. [UN_]ANALYZED and, separately, Field.Index.[NO_]NORMS which could then be combined together in all 4 combinations (we'd have to fix the Parameter class to let you build up a new Parameter by combining existing ones...).

I think naming things well is just as important as good javadocs explaining things.

But: I think these changes should probably wait until we work out how to refactor AbstractField/Fieldable/Field?

Mike