Hi
Thanks for your input.  I would like to have a go at doing this myself
first, Solr may be an option.

* You are creating a new Analyzer & QueryParser every time, also
   creating unnecessary garbage; instead, they should be created once
   & reused.

-- I can moved the code out so that it is only created once and reused.

 * You always make a new IndexSearcher and a new MultiSearcher even
   when nothing has changed.  This just generates unnecessary garbage
   which GC then must sweep up.

-- This was something I thought about.  I could move it out so that it's
created once.  However I presume inside my code i need to check whether the
indexreaders are update to date.  This needs to be synchronized as well I
guess(?)

 * I don't see any synchronization -- it looks like two search
   requests are allowed into this method at the same time?  Which is
   dangerous... eg both (or, more) will wastefully reopen the
   readers.
--  So i need to extract the logic for reopening and provide a
synchronisation mechanism.

Ok.  So I have some work to do.  I'll refactor the code and see if I can get
inline to your recommendations.