Hi
Thanks again for helping on a Sunday!

I have now modified my maybeOpen() to do the following:

 private void maybeReopen() throws Exception {

 LOGGER.debug("Initiating reopening of index readers...");

 IndexSearcher[] indexSearchers = (IndexSearcher[]) multiSearcher
.getSearchables();

 for (IndexSearcher indexSearcher : indexSearchers) {

 IndexReader indexReader = indexSearcher.getIndexReader();

 SearcherManager documentSearcherManager = new
 SearcherManager(indexReader.directory());

 documentSearcherManager.maybeReopen();

And get() to:

private synchronized MultiSearcher get() {

IndexSearcher[] indexSearchers = (IndexSearcher[]) multiSearcher
.getSearchables();

List<IndexSearcher>  indexSearchersList = new ArrayList<IndexSearcher>();

for (IndexSearcher indexSearcher : indexSearchers) {

IndexReader indexReader = indexSearcher.getIndexReader();

SearcherManager documentSearcherManager = null;

try {

documentSearcherManager = new SearcherManager(indexReader.directory());

} catch (IOException e) {

throw new IllegalStateException(e);

}

indexSearchersList.add(documentSearcherManager.get());

}

try {

multiSearcher = new
MultiSearcher(indexSearchersList.toArray(newIndexSearcher[] {}));

} catch (IOException e) {

throw new IllegalStateException(e);

}

return multiSearcher;

}

This makes all my test pass.  I am using the SearchManager that you
recommended.  Does this look ok?

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Michael McCandless <
luc...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper analyzerWrapper = new PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper(
>>> analyzer);
>>>
>>> analyzerWrapper.addAnalyzer(FieldNameEnum.TYPE.getDescription(),
>>> newKeywordAnalyzer());
>>>
>>> queryParser =
>>> newMultiFieldQueryParser(FieldNameEnum.fieldNameDescriptions(),
>>>
>>> analyzerWrapper);
>>>
>>> try {
>>>
>>> LOGGER.debug("Initialising multi searcher ....");
>>>
>>> this.multiSearcher = new
>>> MultiSearcher(searchers.toArray(newIndexSearcher[] {}));
>>>
>>> LOGGER.debug("multi searcher initialised");
>>>
>>> } catch (IOException e) {
>>>
>>> throw new IllegalStateException(e);
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> }
>>>

>>> Initialises mutltisearcher when this class is creared by spring.
>>>

>>> private synchronized void swapMultiSearcher(MultiSearcher
>>> newMultiSearcher)  {
>>>
>>> try {
>>>
>>> release(multiSearcher);
>>>
>>> } catch (IOException e) {
>>>
>>> throw new IllegalStateException(e);
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> multiSearcher = newMultiSearcher;
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>>  public void maybeReopen() throws IOException {
>>>
>>> MultiSearcher newMultiSeacher = null;
>>>
>>> boolean refreshMultiSeacher = false;
>>>
>>> List<IndexSearcher> indexSearchers = new ArrayList<IndexSearcher>();
>>>
>>> synchronized (searchers) {
>>>
>>> for (IndexSearcher indexSearcher: searchers) {
>>>
>>> IndexReader reader = indexSearcher.getIndexReader();
>>>
>>> reader.incRef();
>>>
>>> Directory directory = reader.directory();
>>>
>>> long currentVersion = reader.getVersion();
>>>
>>> if (IndexReader.getCurrentVersion(directory) != currentVersion) {
>>>
>>> IndexReader newReader = indexSearcher.getIndexReader().reopen();
>>>
>>> if (newReader != reader) {
>>>
>>> reader.decRef();
>>>
>>> refreshMultiSeacher = true;
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> reader = newReader;
>>>
>>> IndexSearcher newSearcher = new IndexSearcher(newReader);
>>>
>>> indexSearchers.add(newSearcher);
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> }
>>>

>>> if (refreshMultiSeacher) {
>>>
>>> newMultiSeacher = new
>>> MultiSearcher(indexSearchers.toArray(newIndexSearcher[] {}));
>>>
>>> warm(newMultiSeacher);
>>>
>>> swapMultiSearcher(newMultiSeacher);
>>>
>>> }
>>>

>>> }
>>>

>>>  private void warm(MultiSearcher newMultiSeacher) {
>>>
>>> }
>>>

>>> private synchronized MultiSearcher get() {
>>>
>>> for (IndexSearcher indexSearcher: searchers) {
>>>
>>> indexSearcher.getIndexReader().incRef();
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> return multiSearcher;
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> private synchronized void release(MultiSearcher multiSearcher)
>>> throwsIOException {
>>>
>>> for (IndexSearcher indexSearcher: searchers) {
>>>
>>> indexSearcher.getIndexReader().decRef();

>>> org.apache.lucene.store.AlreadyClosedException: this IndexReader is