On a quick read, your statements are contradictory....

<<<I have phrases like brain natriuretic peptide indexed as a single
token>>>

<<<When I calculate the term frequency for the same  the count is 0 since
the
tokens from the text are indexed separately i.e. brain , natriuretic ,
peptide.>>>

Either "brain natriuretic peptide" is a single token/term or it's not....

Are you sure you're not confusing indexing and storing? What
analyzer are you using at index time?

Erick