@All : Elaborating the problem

The phrase is being indexed as a single token ...
I have a Gene tag in the xml document which is like
<Gene>brain natriuretic peptide </Gene>
This phrase is  present in the abstract text for the given document .

Code is as :

doc.add(new Field("Gene", geneName, Field.Store.YES,
Field.Index.ANALYZED,Field.TermVector.YES));

doc.add(new Field("Token", abstractText.toString().toLowerCase(),
Field.Store.YES, Field.Index.ANALYZED,Field.TermVector.YES));

When I retrieve all tokens as well as genes for a given doc and calculate
the tf for each of these ,
a null exception is thrown . Term = brain natriuretic peptide

TermDocs termDocs = indexReader.termDocs(term);
termDocs.next();
double tf = termDocs.freq();

Regards,
Hrishi