I don't do a lot of work with straight Lucene right now, but I do use
Solr, and from time to time the Lucene index inside my master Solr
server gets corrupted; in particular, some of the Lucene segment files
that are still in use somehow get deleted, resulting in Lucene
throwing FileNotFoundExceptions. Once this happens, I have to either
rebuild the whole index, or else run the Lucene CheckIndex tool in
"fix" mode, which renders the index operable again, but at the expense
of throwing away some of the data. This happens rarely, and I haven't
been able to diagnose it yet. In the meantime, though, I find it
somewhat reassuring to know that my source data is in a SQL table.

I don't know that this experience is relevant to you; my problem could
come from a variety of sources outside Lucene, including a potential
bug in Solr, and user error on my part. All the same, perhaps it would
be worth searching the mailing list archives for FileNotFound, to see
what else comes up?