I have 3 concerns of making Lucene as a primary database.
1) Lucene is stable when it's stable. But you will have java exceptions.
What would you do when FileNotFoundException or "Lucene 2.9.1 'read past EOF' IOException under system load" happens? For me, I don't the data is safe this way. Or, you can understand all Lucene APIs and never make any mistakes. Some databases, like some versions of mysql, could corrupt data. No better, but it's still more robust. 2) As the name suggests, Lucene index is just an index, like database index, it's an auxiliary data structure. It's only fast in one way, but could be slow in other ways. 3) The more robust approach is to pull data out of database, and create a Lucene index. In case something goes wrong, you can always pull data out again and create the index again.

--
Chris Lu
-------------------------

Guido Bartolucci wrote:
I know that the primary use case for Lucene is as an index of data
that can be reconstructed (e.g., from a relational database or from
spidering your corporate intranet).

But, I'm curious if anyone uses Lucene as their primary datastore for
their gold data. Is it good enough?

Would anyone consider (or do people already) store data in Lucene
that, if it was lost, would destroy their business? And no, I'm not
suggesting that you don't back up this data, I'm just curious if there
are problems with using Lucene in this way. Are there subtle
corruptions that might show up in Lucene that wouldn't show up in
Oracle or MySQL?

I'm considering using Lucene in this way but I haven't been able to
find any documentation describing this use case. Are there any studies
of Lucene vs MySQL running for N years comparing the corruptions and
recovery times?

Am I just ignorant and scared of Lucene and too trusting of Oracle and MySQL?

Thanks.

-guido.

(BTW, I did find a similar question asked back in 2007 in the archives
but it doesn't really answer my question)