From: java-user-return-45254-paul.b.murdoch=saic....@lucene.apache.org
[mailto:java-user-return-45254-paul.b.murdoch=saic....@lucene.apache.org
] On Behalf Of ajay_gupta
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 8:28 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Lucene Indexing out of memory

Hi,
It might be general question though but I couldn't find the answer yet.
have around 90k documents sizing around 350 MB. Each document contains a
record which has some text content. For each word in this text I want to
store context for that word and index it so I am reading each document
and
for each word in that document I am appending fixed number of
surrounding
words. To do that first I search in existing indices if this word
already
exist and if it is then I get the content and append the new context and
update the document. In case no context exist I create a document with
fields "word" and "context" and add these two fields with values as word
value and context value.

I tried this in RAM but after certain no of docs it gave out of memory
error
so I thought to use FSDirectory method but surprisingly after 70k
documents
it also gave OOM error. I have enough disk space but still I am getting
this
error.I am not sure even for disk based indexing why its giving this
error.
I thought disk based indexing will be slow but atleast it will be
scalable.
Could someone suggest what could be the issue ?

Thanks
Ajay