Interpolating from your data (and, by the way, some code
examples would help a lot), if you're reopening the index
reader to pick up recent additions but not closing it if a
different one is returned from reopen, you'll consume
resources. From the JavaDocs...

 IndexReader new = r.reopen();
 if (new != reader) {
   ...     // reader was reopened