>>I'll commit the current mostly-working state today, you can take a look

OK. However I think this XMLQueryParser addition will only resurface a
long-standing issue with Luke and Lucene in general.
This query parser works best on multiple fields (e.g. free-text <UserQuery>
tags and <TermsFilter> on structured fields). Each field typically requires
different analyzers and there is currently no way of recording this information
as metadata alongside an index.
Without this metadata each user's Luke session starts with a game of
"guess-which-analyzer-to-use?"

I use my own proprietary system for storing such index metadata and this is
through an XML file that contains a BeanEncoder-serialized
PerFieldAnalyserWrapper among other things.
It would be nice to see some standardisation in how this information can be
made available in *any* Lucene index but I guess this overlaps with things like
Solr's config.

Cheers,
Mark